Please consider writing a letter to California Governor Newsom to encourage him to sign SB 332 (Dodd; re: limiting liability for prescribed fire) and AB 642 (Friedman; re: prescribed fire training, cultural burning liaison and tribal sovereignty, improving and updating fire severity maps, etc.) There are templates you may be interested in using to express your support. See the links at the end. We have banished fire from our natural landscape for far too long and our forests are catastrophically out of balance.
The first steps towards being able to prescribe burns to make our forests healthier and more resilient are reducing the liability risk to people lighting small controlled burns. As long as we deny fire its rightful place in our hills, it will continue to burn down beloved neighborhoods and towns. Take action today!
Letters should be emailed individually ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject lines should read either:
- “RE: SB 332 (Dodd); Request for signature”
- “RE: AB642 (Friedman); Request for signature”
Templates available here:
Full text of bill available here:
More important background on the vital importance of prescribed burns at the links below:
- UCANR Prescribed Fire Benefits
- International Journal of Wildland Fire “A review of prescribed burning effectiveness in fire hazard reduction”
- National Geographic “More ‘good fire’ could help California control future catastrophes”